Q: I want to purchase my eel products for a specific day, when do I have to order by?
A: Depending where your delivery address is, we can do same day delivery.
Otherwise, we will need a lead time of 2 days or more for orders not located in Auckland CBD or South Auckland.
If you are ordering from the North Shore for example, we require 2 days notice. Meaning that if you wish to receive your products by Friday then we will need to know before Wednesday night. This is because our couriers need to transport from Te Kauwhata to their main depots in Auckland city and from there deliver to you.
Q: Do you deliver on the weekend?
A: No. Our couriers do not deliver on weekends, therefore we cannot supply our products to you.
If you wanted to receive your product by Saturday for example, you will need to order for the Friday. You are more than welcome to arrange a pick up from our factory if you wanted to receive freshest product possible.
Q: Do you sell live eels?
A: Yes we supply live eels to certified customers. Customers need to prove to us that they will treat the fish humanely before we can supply them.
Some customers want guaranteed freshness, and supplying live eel is the most effective way to achieve that. The eels must be processed upon receipt, killed in a certified humane manner and not stored live for an extended period of time.
You can become certified by e-mailing us, and filling out a customer form.
Q: Do the eels suffer?
A: No. Our eels are killed humanely, we work under strict policies and guidelines that are specified by the Ministry of Primary Industries.
For live packs our eels are anesthetized and transported in an insulated container (polybin) with water and compressed breathable air. This practice is used throughout the world to transport many different species of fish and crustaceans for industry and aquaculture reasons. It is currently the most humane way to transport live fish.
Q: I heard Eels are going extinct, why do you sell them?
A: Eels are not going extinct. We work strictly under the Quota Management System to ensure the longevity of our industry, and to make sure that we do not take too much of our fair share.
Oversized eels (or migrators as they are known) are released by fishermen upon capture. Any that are overlooked and brought into the factory are released into the wild, and documented. Any undersized eels caught in nets are able to escape through appropriate sized holes. The few that arrive at the factory are also re-released into the wild for conservation reasons.
Q: I heard that Eels are a taonga, and sacred to Maori. Why do you sell them?
A: Tuna, as eel is known in te reo was eaten by Maori during the pre-colonial period, and today it is sometimes consumed for cultural reasons.
Iwi groups in New Zealand are gifted 20% of quota by the New Zealand Government to protect the cultural rights of those iwis. The remaining 80% is managed through New Zealand Fisheries.
There are two species of Eel in New Zealand, Shortfin (Anguilla Australis) and Longfin (Anguilla Dieffenbachii) . Shortfin is found throughout all of the pacific and is the main species that we use. Longfin is an endemic species meaning it is only found in New Zealand. We trade Longfin eels but at a much lower ratio to shortfin.